Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Detox Update - Feel the Glow


If you have a hard time making out the words on the screen, it is possibly due to the glow coming off by detoxified skin.

A week of stinky tea, stuffing down loads of veggies and fruit and taking in more water than my lawn, has paid off. My skin is aglow and my general agitation over all things has abated. I am in full swing on the maintenance plan - you loose the stinky tea and add in whole grains and skim dairy - and by all signs I look to be able to stick with it. The most wondrous side effect of the detox is how it short circuits your cravings for processed and fatty foods. I have even survived a trip to LA where my only indulgence was half a butterscotch pot de creme with sea salt. (I mean, right? My taste buds are glowing, they are not dead.)

I was so caught up in my non-preservative glow I decided to take another leap forward and sign us up for a local organic co-op. We got our first shipment last weekend and the first sign we were in over our heads, was having to search by picture on the Internet to figure out just exactly what all we had. A few of the hybrid fruits we have yet to identify but we still ate them.

So far, it's been a success. The fresh picked blueberries were a revelation and we three made short work of them. I ate squash for the first time and lived to tell you lovely folks about it. (Not very impressive, I will report.) And we Iron Chef-ed the crap out of that kale and it remained tasting just as awful as it looked. Blah.

Still a bit daunting to open the fridge and see a small garden in there but I'm committed. Tonight I will attempt to tame the bale of spinach I was given. Wish me well.




No comments:

Post a Comment