Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Halloween Haze

I start out with the best intentions. I approach big moments in life as a reasonable, lovely person who hears stories of over the top behavior and says, “That will never be me.” But when push has comes to shove, I have melted down over wedding invitations that were the wrong shade of white. I have screamed obscenities at hospital staff while in contractions. I have worn maternity clothes at the end of my pregnancy that showed inches of my protruding belly.

This Halloween has been no different.

For Stella’s first Halloween, she wore a baby chick costume I scored for $6.99 on Babystyle final sale. I have repeatedly told the story of how many children of co-workers and friends have worn the Chick over the last few years. Last year, we had a hand me down Ladybug from another friend that Stella refused to wear but the day was saved by another friend who showed up with a Snow White outfit. Done and done. I started a recycled costume movement at work since there are so many moms with children the same age – pass them along!, I said.

And then this year, I lost my mind and spent a HUNDRED dollars on the Tinkerbell costume from Disney. A HUNDRED. (And that was online and it was all 40% off which is nutty.) Tiara, light up wings, wand, whatever, I clicked and bought the whole shootin’ match.

And I will tell you every time I look at this picture, I think “So damn worth it!”

I will blame all the years my overwhelmed mother, with four of us to dress, would pop a sheet with two holes over my head, call me a ghost and remind me of how lucky I was to go trick or treating at all. People will say it’s because I work and travel and I’m trying to make up for something. (And both are probably completely true.) But I will drink in the ghostly glory of a child in a great costume and for next year, I will pass this along to another lucky, little Tinker Fairy.

No comments:

Post a Comment